Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Open Letter to a Author

Dear Rebecca Skoot,
       I have currently finished your new york times best seller, The Immortal Life of Henrirtta Lacks .  This book has given me a better understanding of advancements in medicine and changes throughout  our history. It have given me a new few on how one single person can make a huge impact in future life's, and future advancements. Before this book, the name Henrietta Lacks  had no significance in my brain, but after finishing this book Hernrietta Lacks is a name I am sure to let everyone know of. 
       You could have chosen to write this book in nothing more then a informative non-enthusiastic matter but, you did not. As the writer you gave this book both an informative and entertaining  aspect to it. "You better take me to the doctor. I'm bleedin and it aint my time"(15) is one of the quotes that stood out to me because of how much voice the characters have. You can imagine the character actually saying these words in your mind  letting you know these characters once lived and are real. 
        When I first picked up this book I was not sure if it was one I would really have an interest in because I knew it would be every informative  and no fun would come out of reading this book.  Soon I got attached and couldn't stop reading. At the beginning of the book I thought taking Henrietta's cells was inhumane and unfair to her and her loved knows, but by the end of the book I learned that it was legal at that time for doctors to take what they needed as research or history of the patient. I knew about segregation but I could never imagine it "Told she could not have any more children Says if she had been told before, she would not have gone through with treatment." (47)  This quote is one of the many that showed segregation in the book. She was colored and not well educated making it easy for doctors to take advantage or not tell her about the effects of her treatments.  
          " I know your mother and father and all the cousins all mingled together in their own way, but don't you ever do it, Dale. Cousins are not supposed to be havin sex with each other."(115) This quote tough me the shift in history morals. In Henrietta's time it was common and even encouraged for family members to have children and families together, but today it is morally wrong to do so. "People wouldn't use words like epilepsy, mental retardation, or neurosyphilis  to describe Elisie's condition until years later. To the folks in Lacks Town, she was just simple. Touched"(23) Shows people did not know side effects of having children with relatives, it also showed me that people in past times where more humble about disorders then people today. At the end of the book I had a deeper understanding on things that had crossed my mind a couple of times. I am looking forward to learing more from your style of writing and your other books.

 Sinceraly, 
Yohana Olivas
       

No comments:

Post a Comment